Monday, November 1, 2010

Morioka!

Hey Everyone!

So, I made it to morioka and found a place to stay, and I'm still in one piece!  I got to the train station and hurried over to find the Tourist Information Center, but I guess it also closes at 5:30, like everything else.  Even if it would make sense for it to remain open for when incoming travelers could use it.  There was still the JR information desk open though, and they had a sheet with a whole bunch of accommodations on it, and they picked one out for me.  (I think it may have been one of, or maybe the cheapest on the list, but the manager also speaks English! so thats good).  And they could give me the paper and pick one and direct me, but since they were just JR information, they couldn't check if it actually had vacancy or reserve a room, but they did direct me to a payphone.  Haha, and actually, a very small world I suppose, while I was in there, the Taiwanese girl from Sapporo walked in!  (her name is Fey)  She left Sapporo two days ago and is moving on from morioka tomorrow.  She wanted to ask information about where she could get some tasty reimen (a local specialty, like cool kimchi ramen with maybe soba noodles), and saw me there! 

So I ended up calling the ryokan, and when someone answered in Japanese, I responded with "Hello".  They immediate understood and in broken english asked if I needed a room tonight and how many, I used some japanese, and etc.  So it was actually pretty easy.  It's costing 3500 pernight instead of 2500-3000 or less, but for a couple nights I guess thats fine.  Also, I could go back to the Information Center tomorrow and try finding somewhere cheaper.  Here is also like, 10 minutes from the station.  So after that Fey-san and I had some tasty reimen!  (We both got middle spicy, but it actually wasn't all that spicy at all.  More would have been a little better, and it was actually a little sweet, with a slice of crispy pear in it in addition to meat, onion, egg, and kimchi!)  At the restaurant we went to, we actually went in, then waited for a minute, then they directed us to go outside and take the elevator to the third floor, which opened up directly to the same restaurant! (different floor though)  We chatted about where we were going and went, about food, a little about working in Japan, about traveling, some other stuff.  I think we ate and chatted for maybe 45 minutes?  It was really funny and fun running into her though.  So then we paid and went out (ha, actually, we went outside, then back in to pay, so I think it would have been really easy to just eat and run out, but apparently thats not a problem!), and said good luck and stuff, and went our separate ways. 

So now I'm using the computer in the bar/ restaurant/ lounge in this fairly cheap ryokan.  Its still a lot nicer, with way more personality, than the other places I've been staying in though.  My place in Sapporo was really nice because of the people, but this place itself has a lot more personality and atmosphere.  There are pictures and pottery and masks on the walls and plants and dark wood and its very nice.  I can reserve a traditional Japanese breakfast for 800 yen.  I can probably find some a small cheap breakfast in the morning at a nearby convenience store for half that price though, but I might spring for the seasonally changing, traditional, fresh meal.  Also, theres a Japanese style bathtub room, with the tub already half filled with warm water and situated at an angle in the corner, with rocks and small plants built all up around it.  My room doesn't have internet or its own bathroom, but theres this single computer and such, so I think I'll be okay.  Also, before I got on the computer, but after I dropped off my stuff in my room, I was filling out my registration form in the restaurant/ bar, and the manager (an older lady) introduced me to another American staying here, so I started chatting with a white guy from Portland!  I guess he's traveled in Nepal and India and South America before, and so now hes spending about 3 weeks in Japan.  His name was Evan.  He seemed really nice and I told him what I've been up to too.

So its about 10:20 now.  I'm thinking I'm gonna unpack a little, take a shower, figure out what I'm doing tomorrow, and get to bed!  Oh yeah, so not much happened up in Aomori for Halloween.  I was pretty much in my room all evening, so I didn't really like, collect quality observations, but it looked like it kinda came and went.  I did see on the news though that elementary kids were dressing up in colored garbage bags, with stars and lightning bolts and such on them, with mickey mouse ears or construction paper crowns or hats, and making Jack-o-lanterns and trick-or-treating, so thats cute and fun.  Also, a couple adults were dressed in full outfits, like the villain in the slasher flick Scream, I think, and the all black spirit monster with the white face in Spirited Away, and when he grabbed some of the kids, some of them, on the news, were freaked out.  Like, some were crying!  Which is also kinda sad/cute.  So okay, I'm gonna get goin again!  Love You Everybody!  Talk to you later!

Love, Tanner

No comments:

Post a Comment