Monday, November 29, 2010

Takamatsu and Naoshima!

Just FYI, right now I'm actually in Fukuoka, and I'm still catching up with my posts from before.  From Osaka and Koyasan, I then went to Takamatsu (with a day trip to the art-island Naoshima), then Matsuyama, both on the large island of Shikoku.  I then took a ferry to Beppu, on Kyushu, then now I'm in Fukuoka, and tomorrow I'm heading to Nagasaki! (all three on Kyushu) So here are some pictures from Naoshima and Takamatsu! 

P.S.  You can also always google, or google image search, places I talk about to get more information or some extra context if what I talk about doesn't make sense. 

Theres a 007 Museum on Naoshima, dedicated to the James Bond book The Man with the Red Tattoo, in which part of the story took place on Naoshima.  Its part of an ongoing campaign to have a film adaptation of the book made, and to have it filmed on Naoshima.  This is me as James Bond, punching the arch Villain into defeat!

There was a bathhouse-art piece called I <3 Yu, where the heart is actually a real, cartoon, right side up heart, but I didn't know how to type it, where the name is a pun, since Yu is the Japanese word for Hot Water, (such as in an onsen), and as in I love You!  So its a huge installed piece of art work outside and in, and a fully functional male-female public bathhouse!

An example of one of the modern art museums in the southern end of the island.  This one is the Lee Ufan Museum.  It was pretty small, but an example of the works inside in the picture with the slab of iron and the rough rock, inside a blank white room.

One of the pieces spread out in the Southern area.

Me and the Yellow Pumpkin!  Naoshima is fairly popular and well known in its own right, and this is one of the more recognizable icons for it.   

One of the more popular images of the pumpkin. 

There was a pretty sun set.

In Takamatsu in Ritsurin Garden.  I hadn't really heard of this garden before I was already headed to Shikoku, but it was actually very nice and very beautiful.  It was definitely at least on par, landscaping-wise, with the two gardens I've seen that are regarded as being in the Top 3 Gardens in Japan, though maybe not quite as nice or immaculately groomed.  It was also raining, but I had a good umbrella and it wasn't to hard or windy or anything, so actually sometimes it felt kinda different and nice.  Though the garden and sightseeing would have been better had it not been raining. 


They were also doing a special Naitto Raitoappu, aka, Night Light Up, or a nighttime illuminations.  It was actually very pretty, and definitely something a little different. 


Almost always at the nice gardens you can have tea and a Japanese sweet, like manju or sembei, for a few hundred yen, and I've always  passed them up, but this time, at night, in addition to the tea, they were selling different kinds of rice dumplings on skewers cooked over hot coals.  (aka Dan-go) I opted for the big, plain rice, covered with Miso paste seasoning, and it was delicious!

One more picture of the Night Light-Up.  Also featuring the most well known bridge from the garden. 

No comments:

Post a Comment